Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Use it up, wear it out

My mint green bicycle woke up from winter's slumber a couple of days ago. Arnfinn puts our bicycles in the house for the winter. "Keeps the tires in good shape," he says, and he is usually right about things like that. I tell him that if he takes as good care of me as he does our things, I will last for all eternity.
The mint green bicycle and I rode to town and back. It was wonderful and fresh.
I love the old saying: "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." Call me old-fashioned, but I like to have things last for a while. I find it unnecessary to buy "the latest" of everything. Seems to me a waste of money if what you have works well.
My cell phone is a good example of that. I inherited Arnfinn's several years ago. It may in fact be from WWII, but it still works - most of the time. I realize that the time has come to renew it, and now that it's becoming a necessity, I am looking forward to a newer updated phone.
My friend Cathrine - who now is family, because our children were married in January, has a website about provident living at Fremtidsrettet livsførsel. She also blogs about recycling at http://velferd.wordpress.com/, what it is like to learn to have a lifestyle where she makes do with what she has, having a storage and reupholstering furniture, painting old chairs etc. Very inspirational to me.

Today's water color reminds me of making a quilt for Sean, when he was little. It was blue and the pieces were cut from older clothes and materials I already had .

No comments:

Post a Comment