Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Little Christmas Eve has Sherlock Holmes weather


Hector and I habitually went out this morning to get the newspaper in the mailbox. I told him: "It's Sherlock Holmes weather!"
What on earth is Sherlock Holmes weather? To me the fog and mist with a warm glow from street lights and house windows was a reminder of Victorian London streets.
What about the popular Christmas song "Let it snow!" ? It says: "Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful. And since we've no place to go, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow."
What exactly does "frightful" weather mean? When it snows at The Duck and Cherry, Arnfinn is thrilled. Lots of snow means skiing for him. The more the better. He is not a fan of Sherlock Holmes weather, which tends to melt away the new fallen snow we had yesterday.
Christmas Eve is tomorrow. It's true what Arnfinn said this morning: "Christmas comes and goes quickly." I am desperately trying to make Christmas linger longer.
Today is "invasion day" at The Duck and Cherry. Eight of our nine children and their families arrive the next hours, pluss an American couple, we do not know as yet, who would like to celebrate a Norwegian Christmas Eve.
Pictured above is this year's ginger bread bakery. I only burnt my finger once, as I glued the pieces together with melted sugar.
Now on to my chores before all the people I love the most enter my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment