Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

The Big Picture

When I am in an airplane looking down at farms, everything looks perfect. The appearance is clean, tidy, and in order. It's only when we get up closer that we find that there is some garbage here and there, broken tools spread around, and grass that's not been cut; if that's what we choose to see.
I am reminded of the song From a Distance sung by Bette Midler and I think about how God watches us from a distance and loves us no matter what.
In life we are often reminded of the phrase "the big picture". It's to hear the whole story of something or see the complete view of something. It's easy to get frustrated by trivial daily things and people around us, but if we can try to see a bigger perspective and beyond annoying, but insignificant happenings, I believe we will be happier, more positive, and more content.

I sometimes find myself struggling through a jungle - waving my hands to get through leaves, branches, and bushes - trying to find my way to see the goal up ahead, when I could do better if I took the time to climb a summit and pause for a moment, just to look at the view to see where I actually need to be headed. It would be so much easier.

If I can try to see "the big picture" in my relationship with people around me, I believe I can be a better friend. There's always a reason for everything; what we do and how we act. Stepping back and seeing the situation from a distance is good advice to me.

From a distance the world looks blue and green, 
And the snow-capped mountains white. 
From a distance the ocean meets the stream, 
And the eagle takes to flight. 

From a distance, there is harmony, 
And it echoes through the land. 
It's the voice of hope, it's the voice of peace, 
It's the voice of every man. 


Photo of Emma with a magnifying glass she found at her great-grandmother's cabin this summer. Sometimes we need to check out the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment