Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Mastering Obstacles Like a Dog

If I climb to the top of the hill, I will see the view. (This is if weather permits. Norway weather tends to be unpredictable.)

If I overcome this obstacle, I will learn something and gain experience to help me the next time another obstacles gets in my way.

If I strive forward I will attain the knowledge I seek. (This is true except when I do genealogy. Going forward with family history research means looking back. See, it's not always black and white.)

Last month, Arnfinn wanted to line up some large tree trunks crossing a creek by our cabin. Brave Hector, the Wheaten Terrier, ran across the logs, climbed the rocks, and triumphantly paraded on the other side of the cold mountain river.

I admire his eagerness to climb a hill, his patience in reaching a goal. He is full of life and loves challenges.

There's a lot to learn from Hector. He is patient, forgiving, and ever loving. We have observed that he requires much of our time, his needs must be met, training him and giving him challenges to grow and develop needs to be scheduled into our busy day. But, you know what, we have chosen to have him and the joy he brings to our family far outweighs any negative issues. Luckily, I enjoy walking him even if the rain is pouring down, the gusty autumn wind pushes us down the road, and blistering snow hurdles around us. It doesn't matter. Nature is refreshing. And the saying in Norway, there's no bad weather, only bad clothes, rings true. Hector doesn't care. I have often wondered how he can run out in freezing ice and snow without warm boots. His woolen coat helps, I'm sure. And getting wet does not seem to worry him as long as he gets to go out and play and sniff the ground.

Arnfinn likes him as a companion for bike rides, jogging, and cross-country skiing. In fact, I believe Hector thinks of Arnfinn as his playmate as I am the one who feeds him and disciplines him. At least he is more obedient to me.

And that's another thing Hector, the Wheaten terrier, teaches us. Obedience. He is a good example--most of the time, that is. There's a saying that obedience is the first law of heaven, and I have seen both animals and humans prosper when they are obedient. At least, I am very pleased when he is obedient. It makes my day much easier.

After hard play, after working, learning, and mastering new skills, no one in our family takes naps as well as Hector. Arnfinn comes in as a close second. This is a obstacle in my life. Learning how to rest without feeling guilty about it. Mastering that would probably relieve me of some stress.

Photos today: Hector, the Wheaten Terrier, in the mountains and with his pal, Arnfinn, napping on the couch at the cabin.





No comments:

Post a Comment