Pages

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Sweetness

Today, one of our little munchkins has a birthday. Sweet is absolutely a word to describe a two-year-old.
Yes, a toddler can be a pesticus at times, a word used by her great-grandmother from California, describing my little ones many years ago. They can wear us out, smear unmentionable things on walls, throw things down the toilet, and there are times when we wonder why they didn't come with a mute button, or at least a volume control--but they are sweet, innocent, and absolutely lovable little creatures.

When I look at her, I am reminded of her mother. She was just as stubborn, just as willful, just as enchantingly sweet. I often told her, "I am stubborner than you!" I tried to keep up with her, pretending I was more stubborn, when I knew better. I also said, "I hope you get a daughter exactly like you!"

My wish was pretty much fulfilled. Sienna''s eyes and hair are lighter, but other that that, they are both pink, feminine, strong, and adorable.

Sweet can come in handy in many situations in life. My mother used to say, "You catch more flies with sugar than you do with vinegar." And she was right. Being friendly and helpful is a much better course in life than ruthlessly elbowing one's way about.

Saying sweet words can brighten someone's day, dry up a tear, encourage when winds are blowing hard enough to make branches break and fall on the ground. A smile, a kind act, a hug can rescue a discouraged attitude and downtrodden feeling.

I have been lucky to have people around me lately, who have acted sweet towards me. Now it's up to me to pay forward the kind gestures and hugs.

Anne Bradstreet was the first American colonist to publish poetry--and that way back in 1672. This shocked some in Puritan society.
She wrote,

Sweet words are like honey, a little may refresh, but too much gluts the stomach.


I agree with her that flattering someone without meaning it, using words untruthfully for personal gain, and exaggerate when the words coming out of your mouth are different from what you feel can be wrong. Such praise is see-throughable.
But still, I believe we can all do well by practicing being sweet and saying kind, uplifting words to others.

Sweetness can become a habit. It can be exercised.


No comments:

Post a Comment