Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I Wonder

I wonder . . .
The phrase gives a picture in my mind of a someone thinking, eye brows close together, eyes squinted, mouth puckered in a ponderous and quiet mode, maybe the right index finger tapping on the chin.

H.P. Lovecraft said, "Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability."

I wonder is a situation of what ifs and curious speculations. But it also means being filled with admiration and awe over something. Sometimes wondering means doubting, when you're not sure that something is going to happen.
It can also be a feeling--wondering why, wondering how . . .

I know we are still a few months away from Christmas, but the carol I Wonder as I Wander written by folklorist and singer John Jacob Niles is about wondering.

Historically, wondering has been looked at as an important drive behind intellectual speculation, claiming that emotions in general are reactions to unexpected phenomena. Descartes, French philosopher, mathematician, and scientist, called it the first of all passions.

I wonder quite a bit. Thoughts race around in my head, conversations happen sometimes without my consent, ideas form, unstoppable creativity is at large.

What to do about it? It's part of who we are. The best thing is to go along and have fun with the creative, wondering wonders. Let them lead you on new paths, to new territories. Let them widen your horizon.

And that's the wonder of it all.

Today's water color shows s fairy boy writing down his wondrous, ponderous thoughts.





2 comments:

  1. For en fantastisk fegutt. Du må jo bare lage en historie og en barnbok ut av alle de feene du har malt og de flotte personlighetene de har.

    ReplyDelete