Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Truth about Ghosts


In one aspect, yes, I believe in ghosts, but we create them. We haunt ourselves.
Laurie Halse Anderson

Ghosts . . . something scary, something we don't know or understand enough about.
I believe we can create our own ghost, like this author above explains. And I don't mean cutting out funny ghost-like creatures with smiley faces for Halloween. I have done that and been criticized for demonic decorations with evil design.

But not being kind to ourselves, putting ourselves down, telling ourselves we are of little worth and don't amount to much in this wonderful world - now that's haunting ourselves. I believe many of us have been there, some of us will continue to be in that place from time to time - when a day is grayer than it's supposed to be and it seems like the sun will never again emerge from behind the thick clouds.

I believe in truth. I believe in speaking the truth with love.

St. Augustine, (born 354) a philosopher, theologian and one of the greatest Christian thinkers of all times said:
The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself.

How can we be honest and speak the truth to ourselves? The truth is that we are children of God, loved by Him. We have been given talents to use, talents to bring joy to others and ourselves. We have been given the ability to love, to grow, to learn.

I will still hang up my funny ghosts this Halloween. They are not scary, but a reminder of fun celebrations and making memories that brighten those gray days.

After all - the truth is, I'm not that serious.

Art History: St Augustine by Philippe de Champaigne painted 1645-1650.
My Lamb and Lion - oil on canvas.
My Daniel in the Lion's Den - oil on canvas




No comments:

Post a Comment